SBCC Building Codes
The 2018 editions of the model codes with Washington State Amendments went into effect on February 1, 2021.
The state amendments to the codes can be accessed by clicking on the menu to the left. The base model code, adopted by reference, should be available at the reference desk at your local library or at the permit counter of your local building department.
If you have any questions about the changes or would
like further information, please email Council Staff at
State Building Code
The Washington State Building Code is comprised of the model code editions listed below with Washington State Amendments. For your convenience, the Washington State Energy Code is available in its entirety. The 2018 editions of the codes listed below are currently in effect. The State Building Code (SBC) is the minimum construction requirement for the state of Washington and includes:
- 2018 International Building Code (includes the 2018 International Existing Building Code, 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa code, and 2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1)
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (includes the 2018 International Fuel Gas Code, 2017 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code (NFPA 58), and 2018 National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54) as it applies to LP Gas installations
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2018 Washington State Energy Code
- National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) -- Please see the Department of Labor and Industries for information on the adoption and amendment of the National Electrical Code.