SBCC is seeking public comment on proposed updates to Group 2 state building codes through Oct. 14, 2022.
SBCC is working to update Group 2 codes:
- Washington State Energy Code-Residential
- International Building Code (Structural Provisions)
- International Existing Building Code
- International Residential Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Uniform Plumbing Code
- Washington State Wildland Urban Interface Code
More about all code update proposals can be found here
How to comment
All written testimony must be submitted by 5 p.m. Oct. 14, 2022.
- Online contact form
- Comment by email to SBCC@des.wa.gov
- Attend public hearings Sept. 29, Sept. 30 and Oct. 14. See detailed hearing information including how to sign up to testify.
- The council will discuss and evaluate public comments at an Oct. 21 work session.
- The council will vote on code proposals Nov. 4, and possibly on Nov. 18 (as needed).
- Any adopted changes will go into effect July 1, 2023.
The SBCC uses rulemaking to update codes every three years following the national code adoption cycle. This update is based on national model codes adopted in 2021 as well as state Legislative energy policy guidance. As codes are updated, they are broken into two groups:
- Updates to Group 1 codes have been adopted. Group 1 includes the International Building Code, International Fire Code, and the Washington State Energy Code Commercial.
- Updates to all Group 2 codes are those under consideration.
Once new codes are in effect, implementation occurs on the local level -- the council adopts statewide building codes, and Washington’s 39 counties and 281 incorporated cities and towns enforce them.